Sunday, November 30, 2008

Management Information Systems 2 :: Assignment 1

I think about my future; I take it to bed with me at night and dream about it. Even during the day; with my eyes wide open I am dreaming. I made a promise to myself that I will never stop trying until I have achieved my dream. Made my mind up that I will be prepared to pay the price in time, study, energy and effort to achieve my aim. Visualized the benefits that will accrue to my family, my friends and mankind, from the achievement of my dream.

So where do I start? It should begin with me. What do I want to be five or ten years from now? I should make a list of my capabilities and shortcomings. Okay, let me begin this. I need to concentrate. Allow me to think first (concentrating). I always ask myself what are the things that I want and the things that I need. There are so many questions revolving inside my brain. What are my skills? Where am I suited? What are my strengths and weaknesses? How can I live my dreams? How can I help my family? These are some of the questions that I myself must be answered because man does not need answers from somewhere beyond himself.

Before I tell you my future, allow me to go back to my past. When I was little, my cousin and I used to talk about our future. She once asked me, “What do you want to be?” I was slightly innocent that time and so I then answered, “I want to be a teacher” “Why?” her next question. “Because I love to teach”, I said. From then on, being a teacher clung into my mind. Every weekend and in summer break, I used to buy chalks and gather all my cousins and the other kids to teach them. When they could not answered I would gave them either of the punishments like standing for more than a minute, commanding them to buy our snacks or gave them an assignment to work at home. The feeling was nice and I really felt like I was really a teacher, a frustrated teacher (laughed). Time came when I was on my next stage, my high school; I need to converge with my new classmates and teachers. It has been said, high school is the most enjoyable part of life. And for me to react, yes it is true. I am a person who seldom speaks. You can hardly see me in social gatherings like parties, conversations or whatsoever. It is not the party that I do not like. What is fun about going to a party are not only the delicious foods but also I can mingle with my friends. Attending parties is a recreation. Others may say that I am an ignoramus, shy, not the exciting one, but I AM NOT. To distinguish my outstanding qualities under the heading “Assets” from my “Liabilities”, I should say I am a strong person, full of spirit and a clown. Anyone who dares to know me will find out that I am an amazing person, a superwoman. My character I can say that I am not just a typical type. I was molded by my experiences in life. These experiences were extreme, bitter and sweet. I have been through a lot and I am proud to say that I experienced those sufferings and happiness and was able to surpass those challenges. I am not saying that it was a happily ever after moment because I am still alive and it does not end yet. Because of my high school classmates and teachers I learned to go along with other people, to laugh with them, to smile to someone that I bump into. My classmates were full of life. We were serious with our studies but out of the room, we were like little kids. We played hide and seek, we ran, and then we laughed. During my high school years, my childish dreams became more mature and me myself too. The idea of becoming a teacher was then wiped away. It was because I had a newer and a brighter vision in life. My hobbies and interests were then changed. I did not want to become a teacher anymore. As time goes by, I found myself loving technology. I am more curious about what are the new technologies existing and coming. I am more interested with computers on how they work, and how they were born. Because of this fondness, I made a decision that would make or break my future. After carefully considering all of my abilities and after my thoroughly thinking, I came to the conclusion that Information Technology is indeed pretty for me. Honestly, I can say that I am not a good decision maker and not a good planner but I am trying. It was my last year in high school, and at last, we did it! We graduated! It was an achievement for my classmates and me. But it was not the end, we still have the next level and more levels to come.

This is now the moment… I gotta let myself go

College work which is my present is more difficult than studies in the high school. The method of instruction is different; the manner of conducting classes is different; the personal supervision that I had in high school exchanged for more liberty and independence, more self-study on my part. I am currently struggling to finish my course but behind this, I am enjoying (laughed). Everybody else knows that graduating college is not the end at all, but another one-step forward. Working to achieve the pinnacle of my career is a very long process. Learning my profession starts when I step on to college acquiring my chosen degree. It is a process that takes several ups and downs before achieving my goal. Like taking an IT course I have to overcome the pleasant of victories and more likely the stinging defeats. Ten years from now will be a different story. I have to be a different person, a different individual with optimistic goals, and a person with great ideals of achieving successes in the chosen profession. Therefore, I must say I should work a lot harder. Ten years from now I shall see myself one of the best IT Professionals working either in NASA or in Pentagon. I have my own big house and lot, a car, and I am helping my family. Preparations starting from being a student with an IT course and finishing the entire program in four years time or sometimes more molded by technical IT subjects will be necessary as a basis to be called as an IT professional. Significant studies and relevant trainings as well must an IT student should exposed for his technical enhancement. Being a professional on a chosen career, a person must be capable of producing a feasible output and he must be open to new ideas. I strongly believe that we become what we think about. We may attain any goal we sincerely desire if we believe it is possible and if we believe we can do it. Others may say that I can’t make it. But as what my teacher said, “Learn from critics and grow. Accept criticisms gladly. Let it in one ear and out at the other. Malicious persons have used this expression to discourage others and justify themselves.” It is easy to set up illogical propositions and then explode them. Some people do it all the time and thereby gain a great reputation for wisdom and wit. A negative reaction to what is possible and what is impossible can be devastating; almost any proposed idea can be shown to be impossible logically and convincingly. Thinking all of the reasons why it may be possible; there will be plenty of people around to tell me why the idea is impossible. Finally, this is my starting point to reality. I know what I want. I am no longer drifting and I will work to achieve my worthwhile purpose. All things are in a process of becoming. I am a purposive goal-seeking person who is in the process of becoming that which I will become. To make my dreams come true, I should follow them with actions.

It is true to say that the difference between success and failure in any mission is purely a state of mind. We have the power to make our state of mind positive or negative. We have to get rid ourselves of negative thoughts, of all thoughts of failure, of lack aptitude, all grudges and all fear. We can do anything we set our mind to.

Let me use the analysis; breaking the problem into smaller pieces, dividing ten years by five. For the first two years, that is 2010, I already have my job as an IT Professional. To be one of the best, after taking my course I should pursue a master degree in IT to further broaden my knowledge in my profession. Taking masters degree would be a challenging personal task to the extent that it would not only improve my abilities but it would give me the edge to compete with other professionals. With the advent of a highly competitive world, as an individual equipped with know-how in information technology I must use my earned proficiency not just for personal purpose but as well for purposes of serving the society. Software that may enhance the output of the industries, a software that prolong the life of a machine, a software that minimize the bulk of an office works are just few of the thousands of IT based programs that an IT professional should be concerned with in order to become accustomed in the constantly developing environment. And for me to earn more money, I must develop the habit of saving a part of what I earn. I must exercise control of my spending. I have to save at least ten per cent of my income. Invest a part of my savings in real estate or shares in growth companies so that I will have a reserve that can grow in value. And when my savings are big enough I will build my own business. This business thing will be achieved two years after 2010 which is in 2012. The business I manage or own shall be the top of its class. It should cater the needs of the customers the most efficient way and giving the most reliable services it can offer.

I should try not to sell myself short and should never underestimate my abilities because sometimes I pity myself. One way to help me to be one of the best IT Professionals is training. Usually when a man lacks confidence to do a job it has nothing to do with his abilities or his intelligence. His lack of confidence is based on laziness or the lack of training. Today, training is the easiest thing in the world to get and the extraordinary effort to study is always worthwhile. Attending seminars is also one way in which my knowledge will also be broaden. Then is to pray; ask for God’s help to make it clear how I can best serve during my journey through life. If ever I make some mistakes, I will never be discouraged. I should learn from those and extract from those the lessons to be learned. Then go forward. My aim should be to follow my dreams with actions, to build the character I want and so grow in power, wisdom and influence.

In order for me to live long and be still alive for the next ten years I should keep physically healthy; exercise daily or do some physical work, eat moderately, and sleep regularly. Develop interest in people and not be shy. Develop a friendly attitude toward others; not be critical of other people. Welcome opportunities to meet people. Join clubs, work with others; develop habits of cooperation. Be a good conversationalist. I should read much to have lots of ideas from books, magazines, and newspapers to be well informed and this gives me a feeling of security and self-confident. I should also learn to listen. Listen to what others say. This is another way to become well informed.

Well, one way to succeed is learning how to budget our time. And this is one of my strategies. Let me share with you a story that I heard when I was in high school. This story also gave me an idea. One day an expert in time management was speaking to a group of business students, and to drive home a point, used an illustration those students will never forget. Here is how he made a point: As he stood in front of the group he produced about a dozen fist sized rocks and carefully placed them, one at a time, into a jar. When the jar was filled to the top and no more rocks would fit inside, he asked: “Is this jar full?” Everyone said, “Yes” then he said, “Really?” he reached under the table and pulled out a bucket of gravel in and shook the jar causing pieces of gravel to work themselves down into spaces between the big rocks. Then he asked once more, “Is this jar full?” “Probably not”, one of the class answered. “Good”, he replied. He reached under the table and brought out a bucket of sand. He started dumping the sand in and went into all the spaces left between the rocks and the gravel. Then he grabbed a pitcher of water and began to pour it until the jar was filled to the brim. What is the point of this illustration? It teaches us that if we do not put the big rocks first, we will never get them in at all. After hearing the story, I reflected on it, and asked myself this question: “What are the big rocks in my life?” Then put those in my jar first. And this could be my dreams.

It is said that success or failure in life often depends upon one’s ability to make wise decisions and to influence the decisions of others. As we grow older, we will have to depend on ourselves to make decisions. Life is a matter of facing up to the situation and making sound decisions. Some people including me find it difficult to make up their minds. They act on the impulse of the moment or flip a coin to arrive at a decision. For more serious occasions, I must learn to make reasonable decisions. I have to set my goal, reach the goal and then I will be on the success beam. As the old saying goes “To thine own self be true no one is responsible for your life but you”.

If at times I feel unhappy and disappointed, I try to tell myself that these are part of growing up. There was a time that I lost myself. I did not know myself anymore. My brain was not working, I could not think well, I am blank, the hope was lost, and I was terrified. What I did, I went to the church and sincerely pray from the heart. Then one day I found myself. Something pulled me back; the voice of reason I forgot I had. The whole process of living is one of trial and error. When we make mistakes, as we are sure to do, we have again learned a valuable lesson and we may not make the same mistake again. I may have more than one failing grades in my passbook or grading card, but it is not the only measurement if a man would be able to succeed. I may have regrets and I may not have the chance to change my past, but I can change my future. Everybody makes mistakes. I am not proud of what I did, but I have grown up. I must learn to close the door of failure behind me. Everybody fails at some time. I will try harder and, in the right way, next time. I have to make sure that I have put things in their perspective. Today’s failures might be the tomorrow’s successes. As we achieve one level of competency there are always higher levels waiting for us. We always go forward and change. That some things may seem impossible today serves to emphasize the fact that we are still developing, still capable of greater achievements. We defraud ourselves when we think thoughts of doubt and timidity and our light dim. So I won’t give up and I won’t break down sooner than it seems life turns around and I will be strong even if it all goes wrong even when I am standing in the dark I will still believe because I know someone is watching over me.

I am a little bit different from all the more than two billion people on this earth. We all have many things in common, but we are all unique in that each of us has his own unique complex combination of aptitudes and interests, skills and abilities. I still remember when we had our interview with the vice president in one of the companies in Davao. He said that we must be flexible; that we must learn to adjust and adapt every environment we may pass through because not all people are of the same characteristics. And as we grow older, we encounter new faces with different colors, cultures and beliefs; we encounter new and different types of situations. Therefore, I must say that I need to learn more in dealing with other people and with myself. I need to improve more my intelligence and personality quotient. And since I am seeing myself working in NASA or in Pentagon ten years from now (2018), I should be able to learn how to treat others for me to be respected and to attract cooperation from my coworkers.

It is presume that it is not easy to finally achieve and reach ones objective. In order to be called a true professional is a realizing hardworks and painstaking day by day struggle in overcoming hardships and accepting defeats. Defeats that is necessary in molding and making a person a more mature individual. It is necessary to an individual to lay a strategic plan in achieving a goal.

I should reach for the stars and succeed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you're definitely true about your article.A vey planned future will yield you to a brighter success. I believe in a saying that goes "what you reap, is what you sow". It is a mere fact of saying that in life you need to exert and do hardwork for you to achieve all your dreams and aspirations.You can encounter hindrances, obstacles, and failures as you go along with your life.Basically, these things are just normal for it challenges you to push through on what you have just started. Always bear in mind not to give up for there is a silver lining that awaits for you in the end.

Anonymous said...

Amazing!What can I say!You really have a wonderful self- concept in life.The function of your self concept is more on the executive type. It mainly focuses on regulating all your actions and plans towards future.Your perception of thoughts, beliefs and personality traits are already well organized which would eventually lead you to have a brighter path and career ahead of you.So,good luck in all the endeavors that you are trying to pursue.